Historic Homes And Buildings
Port Royal Tour Guide
Hidden Village Order Form
Historic Homes &
Use this guide to stroll through the Rappahannock port of
yesteryear. Settled in 1652, it was once the only chartered town in
Caroline County. An important colonial shipper of tobacco to Britain,
it later served as a warehouse center and mover of grain, freight, and
passengers on 3-masted schooners. Traces of this colorful past can
still be found today in the historic section of this old town.
Doctor's Office 1850
(to be new Visitor Center)
The relocated Doctor's office which will serve as the town's visitor
center is now about 80% complete and is awaiting approval from the current
town administration for final phase of construction. The HVAC system,
flooring, and some detail work are all that are necessary for completion.
HPR hopes to have the building completely finished and operating by the Fall
Old Town Hall & Lyceum 1852
Home of the Kilwinning-Crosse Masonic Lodge, chartered in 1754 - the
second oldest in the country. The structure was built in 1852.
The lower part served as an academy, a town hall, and later became part of a
general store. The building is currently awaiting restoration as a
One of the town's oldest structures. The original owner
held a franchise to operate a ferry to and from Port Conway, a town that was
once across the river. The interior foundation of this house contains
large sandstone boulders thought to have come by barge from Aquia Harbor on
Built in 1846 on the site of a 1777 building. It was the home of the
John Lightfoot family until 1905. In 1865 when a small boat drifted past the
main wharf and came ashore at the riverbank here, two of Lightfoot's teenage
daughters went to investigate. They found five men, one with a broken
ankle, in the craft. The travelers refused help and pressed on.
Only later did it come to light that the men were John Wilkes Booth, his
accomplice, David Herold & three soldiers.
St. Peter's Episcopal Church 1835
Completed in 1835 and rebuilt in 1849 after a fire, it is still
in use by the descendants of the early members (note the gravestones in the
Church cemetery.) The pipe organ was installed in 1850. It was
built by famous organ maker George Stevens. It is considered very rare
and is known as the only Stevens organ in Virginia, and one of the oldest in
Rectory / Parish House 1740
The oldest section of this ancient dwelling was built about 1740.
This has been the rectory of St. Peter's church since 1876. Many of
the windowpanes, doors and hardware are thought to be original.
Built by Robert Gilchrist about 1745-50, the property acquired the name "Townfield"
about 100 years later. It was enlarged in 1790 and again in
1837, when a wing was added. The present owners are restoring it.
Built in 1750 with an addition in 1800. One of the town's oldest
surviving structures. The post office was administered here from
1885-1913. The house and gardens have undergone extensive restoration
by the current owners.
Fox Tavern 1755
The history of the tavern dates back to 1755, when William Fox secured a
license to operate a tavern in his home. Fox married Ann, the daughter
of Dorothy Roy, first lady of Port Royal. During the Civil War, it is
thought that the Fox Tavern was used as a hospital.
Brockenbrough /Peyton bef.
The actual building date is unknown but Champe Brokenbrough occupied the
house as early as 1795. According to the book, People Places and
Post Offices of Caroline, by historian Ralph Fall, the Brokenbrough/Peyton
house is said to have been one of Port Royal's earliest and finest
mansions. Champe Brokenbrough's granddaughter, Sarah Jane Peyton,
lived in the home during the Civil War. She was home on the afternoon
of April 23, 1865, when three Confederate soldiers brought Lincoln Assassin
John Wilkes Booth and his accomplice, David E. Herold, to the residence.
must be the officer ladies first choice. The polished brass hardware makes mbt shoes sale
look formal. Zipper top closure makes it convenient for you to put your stuff in. There is also hang tag made of leather, a slip pocket to put cards in and two side pockets to hold some documents.mbts
. Inside, there is multi-function slip pocket for your cell phone and zip pocket with leather pull mbt shoes
. You can ring to clip an accessory or key fob. mbt sale
Copyright © 2006 Historic Port Royal, Inc. All rights reserved.