||HPRI incorporated by the late Laura Hayes
Bosch on behalf of a small group of residents interested in preserving the
historic integrity of the town. The group provides a channel for the
collection of contributions for purposes of historic preservation,
restoration and education.
(HPRI meeting information)
||Membership Drive and Organizational Meeting
led by Cleo Coleman & Bill Henderson. First Project - A walking
tour brochure of the town.
||Granted stewardship of the building locally
referred to as the "Masonic Lodge" , officially named the Port Royal Town
Hall & Lyceum. Received 501(c)(3) Federal IRS status.
Selected David Breedin as building supervisor and began making concrete
|Sept. 4, 1998
||The board hires Bigoney Engineering to
measure and draw designs for the Masonic Building
|Oct. 9, 1998
||Living History Walking Tour. 1st
Historic Event in Town. "An Evening Walking Through History".
Meet townsfolk and visitors from the past portrayed by historic
|April 27, 1999
||HPRI meeting - Lodge now cleaned of trash,
braced with exterior barriers in place, second floor work begun &
Phase I complete.
|Sept. 18, 1999
||Roy Chimney's restored with Dedication of
Mid-Atlantic Labs. Note speech by Cleo Coleman: "These Chimneys,
these towers from Port Royals past speak to us of a different time, a
different space and a different Port Royal. They are tangible
reminders of a time at the dawning of our country's history as a nation - a
time when this was still the Colony of Virginia. A time when the area
was being settled and built up by Scottish immigrants, by Huguenot Refugees
and by slaves fresh from the shores of Africa. A time when space was
defined by a bustling river port town with an excellent harbor and a number
of surrounding large land holdings called plantations on which tobacco was
the primary crop. A space that included muddy plank roads, noisy
taverns, a ferry across the river to Port Conway, and a growing settlement
attesting to the fact that in future times, this area, this royal port,
would be referred to as "the metropolis of Port Royal."
|Oct. 2, 1999
||Chamber of Commerce Tour of Port Royal
spotlighting 18th century homes and St. Peter's Church built in 1835.
A Day in the Life of an 18th Century River Town-brochure is still an
excellent guide and contains much local history. More than 40
volunteered with 7 homes and St. Peter's Church opened for the day.
The Civil War Encampment, vendors on Market Street, and the weather all
cooperated to make a great day in Port Royal.
||Hidden Village by Ralph Fall ready for
reprint (rights given to HPR). Phase 2 starts on Masonic
Building with roof truss, 2nd story flooring, etc.
||Historic Port Royal limited edition print by
Marianne Ashurst goes on sale
|April 25, 2000
||HPR meeting - Received Tax exemption on
|July 4, 2000
||Event planned to feature Declaration of
Independence with bell ringing at St. Peter's, 18th century music, speeches,
||Long awaited reprint of "Hidden Village"
|October 7, 2000
||HPR Tour of Homes
||New roof on Town Hall & Lyceum building
||Historic Doctor's office is donated
Masonic Trust donates $2,000 toward Town Hall & Lyceum
||Cleo Coleman & Bill Henderson (co-chairs)
receive Historic Fredericksburg Foundation's "President's Award" for
New website is introduced for
HPR designed by Joe Fisher
Groundbreaking on new location for Doctor's office begins
on Town Green.
|May 12, 2001
||3rd Annual Colonial Tavern Night at Fox
||2nd Independence Day celebration
|October 6, 2001
||Caroline County Tour of Historic Homes
featuring Port Royal
|May 31, 2002
||1st annual HPR Yard Sale nets $1,000
||3rd Annual Independence Day celebration
Peyton-Brokenbrough house (circa 1760) purchased by HPR Board
member Davis Storke
Doctors office is completely enclosed
|October 5, 2002
||Colonial Port Royal Day held on river lot.
This event has grown too large for the Fox Tavern and has been a huge
||Pearson House (circa 1790) is purchased by
John Gilliland and is being restored.
||Cleo Coleman steps down as President of HPR
for six years. Bill Henderson assumes the office
||Beverly Pratt of Cedar Creek Farm becomes
HPR's first guest speaker
|May 31, 2003
||2nd Annual HPR Yard Sale is stunning success
netting over $5,000!
||The Tavern of Port Royal owned by Lisa Burch
opens it's doors for fine dining.
||Herb Collins of Green Falls speaks to
Dal Mallory nominates HPR for TV6's
Charity of the Month. HPR receives a check for $200
|July 4, 2003
||4th Annual Independence day celebration is
attended by Mark Warner, Governor of Virginia!
||Membership reaches 200
|September 27, 2003
||Colonial Port Royal Day held only days after
Hurricane Isabel hits the area
||New Constitution and Bylaws written by Bill
Wick is adopted in full.
||Edmont Bed and Breakfast opens on Catlett's
Hill owned by HPR Board member Phyllis Gouldman Carpenter & husband Bill
Bill Henderson, Bill Wick, and Cleo Coleman meet with Gary
Wilson, head of Economic Development in Caroline County to propose budget
for year's events.
New Board of Directors to include - Bill Henderson, Bill
Wick, Cleo Coleman, Phyllis Sue Carpenter, Brian Penniston, David Storke,
Joe Johnston, Dal Mallory
||Civil War Trails sign placed on lawn of
Peyton-Brokenbrough house explaining it's link to John Wilkes Booth
Dwight Stork speaks to membership at HPR meeting about Thomas Stone, a
signer of the Declaration of Independence.
|May 22, 2004
||Historic Port Royal hosts The Association for
the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. Five buildings were open for
study during the visit: Brockenbrough-Peyton house, Fox Tavern, Townfield
and St. Peter's Church & Parish House. Three well known architectural
historians form the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, Dept. of Architectural
Design, Carl Lounsbury, Peter Sandbeck & Willie Graham each took one of the
three houses and pointed out significant aspects of each. Jay Holloway
& Lindsay Smith of Mary Washington College, Dept. of Historical Preservation
did the same type of workshop with St. Peter's Church.
||Walking Tour Brochure updated
|July 3, 2004
||5th Annual Independence day celebration